IM and MVSE 2012/2013

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
kirash4
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: IM and MVSE 2012/2013

Post by kirash4 »

Personally I would prefer to use Code::Blocks, however as it turns out a) I can't get either IM nor wxWidgets to compile for C::B, so that's why I'm having to switch tracks and try to work with MVSE ... if that too fails I'm back to developing on unix and cross-compiling everything.
dlemstra
Authentication code: 6789

Post by dlemstra »

kirash4 wrote:Basically I want to develop a stand along application that allows a user to import an image, manipulate it (with IM), and save a binary file back to disk.
What kind of changes do you want your users to make? If you don't need a GUI you could just add a 'Win 32 Console Application' to the solution. If you need a GUI it might be easier to create a C# WPF application that uses Magick.NET.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
kirash4
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by kirash4 »

dlemstra wrote:
kirash4 wrote:Basically I want to develop a stand along application that allows a user to import an image, manipulate it (with IM), and save a binary file back to disk.
What kind of changes do you want your users to make? If you don't need a GUI you could just add a 'Win 32 Console Application' to the solution. If you need a GUI it might be easier to create a C# WPF application that uses Magick.NET.
At this point in the game, there are no changes the actual user is making. However that may change rapidly as I continue to work on this. The basic idea is that the app will allow you to import an image file (or several files). The app will need to do several things to that image:
- process each pixel for RGB values and write it out to a specific format file
- create a thumbnail of the image
- create a warped thumbnail of the image (a representation of what the final light display looks like)

However, I need to add controls for the user to work with, ie: should they want to pad the image, flip or flop it (or both), or crop a certain area of it, how many times will the image repeat. Those are all current ideas and I'm sure there will be more as time goes by.

The reason I'm working with c++ right now is because I'm compiling the temporary (console) utilities on a unix platform using Magick++. And on windows I have to deal with the DLL issues. Eventually I will need to rewrite all the utilities into one Windows app and figure it all out from there. Having never written any sort of Windows app, this is brand new territory for me. And since I know that wxWidgets is cross-platform, I figured if I continue writing my programs in c++, adding in the libraries I need, I should be able to use the same source files to compile on whatever platform I need/want to.